Thursday, January 29, 2009

Notable Sighting

Last night as we hurridly drove to church for a night of meetings and worship, a state trooper pulled up behind me and flashed his lights. "Well," I thought, "I guess my children have to witness their father receive a ticket at some point. Now they won't think I'm perfect." But when I slid over into the right lane, the trooper shut off his lights and proceeded to leisurely pass our mini-van. (And yes, it slightly pains me to admit I drive a mini-van. You should know, however, I still have a pick-up I never get to drive.)

As I puzzled over the trooper's strange behavior, a black Chevy Tahoe also started to slowly pass us. "What tiny windows," I thought at first. Then, "And how strange that those people in the back seat are sitting backwards." And lastly, "Hey, I think I recognize that person sitting backwards and looking out that tiny window." Tali confirmed it: "That's Laura Bush!"

Tali also saw and recognized the woman sitting next to the former-First Lady, though she couldn't name her at the time (since Tali is completely uninterested in the world of Baylor athletics). We later learned that George and Laura Bush were accompanying Kim Mulkey, head coach for the Baylor women's basketball team, to the Ferrell Center for the clash between the highly ranked Oklahoma and Baylor women's basketball teams.

We didn't see former-President Bush, but, based on the next car that passed us, I assume he was in the Tahoe facing forward and unseeable through the tiny windows. Another black Tahoe with rear-facing back seats followed the first, and in this car sat several men with shooter's ear muffs and imposing rifles. To make the scene even more surreal, they drove down the street with the windows down, stern expressions on their faces, and the butts of their rifles hanging out of the windows.

Security was obviously still high, but it seems secrecy is no longer a top priority for the former-President and his "secret" service entourage. I guess once you leave office you get downgraded to cars without tinted windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment