Saturday, January 24, 2009

#1 Christmas Album

This box set was actually released in 2006, but I just discovered it this year . . . and I'm glad I did!

If you're already familiar with the music of Sufjan Stevens, good for you. If not, then you need to take a listen. He's got a great, folky sound that can be both peppy and haunting. Combine those qualities with nice harmonies and creative instrumentation, and you've got a great album. It's also a fantastic value: the box set of five EP's (over two hours of music!) sells for a measely $16 on iTunes.

I've forced myself to stop playing the album (since it is now almost February) and keep it a special Christmas treat, though I plan to leave the beautiful arrangements of "Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing," "Amazing Grace," and "Holy, Holy, Holy" in my playlist all year round.

If you can't wait until Christmas for your Sufjan fix, I recommend one of his other albums: Come On Feel The Illinois. It's the second installment in his ambitious plan to make a CD for every state in the nation (his first effort honors his home state of Michigan). I listen to it while I'm driving, walking, reading, thinking, writing: it seems to enhance every activity.

1 comment:

  1. I agree! I am having a hard time giving it up after you made the CDs. -Sissy

    ReplyDelete